Darkest Year In Decades For The Hong Kong Press
On July 6, the Hong Kong Journalists Association (HKJA)
released it’s annual report of free expression.
This revealed Hong Kong’s press freedom was significantly
worse last year, which was the darkest year in decades.
Some of the examples from the report include:
Former Ming Pao editor Liu Chun was attacked;
Commercial Radio politically outspoken talk-show host
Li Huiling was sacked;
Advertising was withdrawn from Apple Daily and am730;
The Government refused to grant free licenses to Hong Kong
TV Internet and other events.
This all shows that Hong Kong media suffered pressure
from all quarters.
Hong Kong media self-censorship has become increasingly
The same day, HKJA announced the establishment of a self-
censorship supervising Committee.
This will accept complaints from reporters and commentators
and expose confirmed cases.
Uyghurs Protested Globally at the Fifth Anniversary of
The 2009 July 5 Event
July 5 is the fifth anniversary of the bloodshed event
The overseas World Uygur Congress (WUC) said Chinese
authorities did not learn lessons from the event.
They are still suppressing Uygurs in various ways.
The WUC said they called on the international community
through global protest to pay attention to the injustices.
July 5, 2009, a large-scale protest happened
in Urumqi, Xinjiang.
At least 200 died and more than 1,000 were injured.
Chinese authorities and the overseas Uygur organization have
different descriptions of what took place.
The Chinese officials claimed that thugs lashed out and
killed innocent people to make a disturbance.
The overseas Uygur organization quoted witnesss’ saying the
Chinese State police used deadly weapons against peaceful
demonstrators. Chinese authorities blocked all information
after that to make the truth unable to be investigated.
Workers Requested Salary Payment in Hebei
On July 5, one thousand construction workers blocked
the road in protest.
They were requesting payment of their salaries.
According to a Radio Free Asia report, Handan Han San
construction company project department owed thousands
of construction workers six months of wages.
On the 5th morning, the workers took banners and blocked
the road intersection to demand payment.
A large number of police, special police and local officials
forcibly dispersed them; several workers were arrested.
Currently there are various social reactions and frequent
activist groups uprisings.
According to available information, there were at least 69
group events across the mainland just on July 1.