Korean Singer: “Shen Yun Preserves Traditional Culture”
By Jessie Chen, David Lee
1. preserve: [prɪˋzɝv] v. to protect from decay or dissolution;保存
2. applause: [əˋplɔz]n. appreciation or praise, esp as shown by clapping the hands掌声
3. prodigy [ˋprɑdədʒɪ] n. wonders; 奇迹
4. spectacular: [spɛkˋtækjəlɚ] adj. an impressive, large-scale display壮观的
5. ovation: [oˋveʃən]n. an enthusiastic reception, esp one of prolonged applause热烈欢迎或鼓掌
5. devotee: [͵dɛvəˋti] n. an enthusiastic follower or fan爱好者,…迷
6. keep on: [kip] [ɑn]ph. to continue or persist in (doing something)继续
7. put on: [pʊt] [ɑn]v ph. to present or stage上演、演出
8. intoxicate: [ɪnˋtɑksə͵ket]v. to stimulate, excite, or elate so as to overwhelm使陶醉
9. profound: [ɪnˋspaɪr] adj. penetrating deeply into subjects or ideas深度的
10. inspire: v. to exert a stimulating or beneficial effect upon (a person)启发
11. purify: [ˋpjʊrə͵faɪ] v. free from anything that debases, pollutes, adulterates, or contaminates: to purify metals.净化
12. filth: [fɪlθ] n. extreme physical or moral uncleanliness肮脏、污秽
The March 1st show by Shen Yun performing Arts in the South Korean city of Daejeon was completely sold out. This was the first performance by the New York group and the international culture and arts center was filled with applause after the show.
Ms. Sohee Song, is a South Korean singing prodigy and the winner of many singing competitions.
[Sohee Song, Traditional Korean Singer]:
“The performance is spectacular. It’s really amazing for Shen Yun performing Arts to be able to perform more than 20 dances and songs with lively scenes in only two hours, without feeling like it was rushing the audience. I felt the funniest dance from today’s show was the one about those young monks, it was so interesting that I couldn’t help but give a standing ovation. I also read some stories about the Monkey King before, but the dance about Monkey King in the show was just as vivid as a movie. Watching this show was such an enjoyable experience for me.”
She was amazed by the beauty of Shen Yun. As a devotee of Koreans traditional culture and arts, she expressed her gratitude towards Shen Yun Performing Arts with a song.
[Sohee Song, Traditional Korean Musician]:
“Let’s keep on preserving our traditional culture, both Korean and Chinese, thank you!"
[Jungyune Lee, Chairman, South Korean’s National Treasure and Literature Association]:
“I don’t have any words to express my feelings after watching this show, as Shen Yun Performing Arts put on stage all the Chinese culture that is not publicly known to us. The beauty and elegance of this show amazed me, and made me completely speechless. I was moved by the fabulous stories from the Shen Yun show, and was intoxicated with the beauty and happiness after watching the show. I feel that I’m very lucky to have the opportunity to watch this show and my heart was full of joy and hope."
[Lee Jearack, CEO, Korean Research Institute of Chemistry Group]:
“Shen Yun is a very profound show with significant meaning. I feel, after watching the show, my whole body and soul is inspired, so I’m deeply impressed. I think this show can purify the world around us and I feel like the filth in the bottom of my heart has been cleaned out after watching the show."
1. Ms.Song is the winner of many singing competitions.
2. I felt the funniest dance from today’s show was the one about those young monks.
3. It was so interesting that I couldn’t help but give a standing ovation.
4. The dance about Monkey King in the show was just as vivid as a movie.
5. My heart was full of joy and hope.
6. I feel, after watching the show, my whole body and soul is inspired.
7. Let’s keep on preserving our traditional culture.
8. Shen Yun is a very profound show with significant meaning.
9. I think this show can purify the world around us.
10. I feel like the filth in the bottom of my heart has been cleaned out after watching the show.